Our Model Portfolio Performance Vs. The Indexes
Every month, we release our updated Model Portfolios – Exec Comp Aligned with ROIC, Safest Dividend Yields, Dividend Growth Stocks, and the 40 Most Attractive and 40 Most Dangerous stocks. These portfolios offer our clients multiple strategies to outperform in good and bad markets.
In 1Q20, we delivered stock picks that outperformed their benchmarks and major indexes and helped protect from blowups.
- Our small cap short strategy beat the short Russell 2000 by 16% YTD.
- Our large and small cap short strategy beat the short S&P 500 and Russell 2000 by 15%.
- Our large cap short strategy beat the short S&P 500 by 14%.
- The Exec Comp Aligned with ROIC Model Portfolio underperformed the S&P 500 through 1Q20 (-28.1% vs. S&P -15.4%).
- The Safest Dividend Yields Model Portfolio underperformed the S&P 500 on a price (-29.0% vs. S&P -15.8%) and total return (-28.1% vs. S&P -15.3%) basis through 1Q20.
- The Dividend Growth Stocks Model Portfolio underperformed the S&P 500 on a price (-15.7% vs. S&P -10.2%) and total return basis (-15.1% vs. S&P -9.7%) through 1Q20.
These strategies (and others) have also beaten their benchmarks since the Most Attractive & Most Dangerous inception in January 2005. Since inception, our large and small cap long strategy has returned 6.4% annualized vs. just 4.6% for the S&P 500 and Russell 2000.
 S&P 500 performance varies for each portfolio due to different publish dates and measurement periods. See the individual portfolio sections below for more details.