Our Model Portfolio Performance Vs. The Indexes
Every month, we release our updated Model Portfolios – Exec Comp Aligned with ROIC, Safest Dividend Yields, Dividend Growth Stocks, and the Most Attractive and Most Dangerous stocks. We also publish the Focus List Stocks: Long and Short. These portfolios offer our clients multiple strategies to outperform in good and bad markets.
In 3Q23, we delivered stock picks that outperformed their benchmarks and major indexes and helped protect from blowups.
- Our large cap long/short strategy beat the Risk-Free Rate by 22% YTD.
- Our large cap short strategy beat the short S&P 500 by 18%.
- Our large and small cap long/short strategy beat the Risk-Free Rate by 10%.
- The Focus List Stocks: Long outperformed the S&P 500 by 0.8% (-2.0% vs. S&P -2.8%).
- The Focus List Stocks: Short outperformed shorting the S&P 500 by 4.7% (+7.7% vs. short S&P +3.0%).
- The Exec Comp Aligned with ROIC Model Portfolio outperformed the S&P 500 by 1.1% (-2.9% vs. S&P -4.0%).
- The Safest Dividend Yields Model Portfolio underperformed the S&P 500 by 1.0% on a total return basis (-7.5% vs. S&P -6.5%).
- The Dividend Growth Stocks Model Portfolio underperformed the S&P 500 by 2.5% on a total return basis (-11.4% vs. S&P -8.9%).
These strategies (and others) have also beaten their benchmarks since the Most Attractive & Most Dangerous inception in January 2005. Since inception, our large and small cap long strategy has returned 8.7% annualized vs. just 6.5% for the S&P 500 and Russell 2000.
 S&P 500 performance varies for each portfolio due to different publish dates and measurement periods. See the individual portfolio sections in report for more details.