Our Model Portfolio Performance Vs. The Indexes
Every month, we release our updated Model Portfolios, Exec Comp Aligned with ROIC, Safest Dividend Yields, Dividend Growth Stocks, and the 40 Most Attractive and 40 Most Dangerous stocks. These portfolios offer our clients multiple strategies to outperform in good and bad markets.
Through 3Q18, we delivered stock picks that outperformed their benchmarks and major indexes and helped protect from blowups. As of October 29, 2018:
- Our large cap short strategy beat the short S&P 500 by 9% through the first three quarters of 2018.
- Our large and small cap short strategy beat the short S&P 500 and Russell 2000 by 5% through the first three quarters of 2018.
- Our small cap long strategy beat the Russell 2000 by 4% through the first three quarters of 2018.
- The Exec Comp Aligned with ROIC Model Portfolio underperformed in 3Q18 (-4.8% vs. S&P -2.1%)
- The Safest Dividend Yields Model Portfolio underperformed on a price (-10.8% vs. S&P -2.7%) and total return basis (-9.3% vs. S&P -2.2%) in 3Q18.
- The Dividend Growth Model Portfolio underperformed on a price (-7.7% vs. S&P -6.4%) and total return basis (-6.9% vs. S&P -5.9%) in 3Q18.
These strategies (and others) have also beaten their benchmarks since the Most Attractive & Most Dangerous inception in January 2005. Since inception, our large and small cap long strategy has returned 10% annualized vs. just 7% for the S&P 500 and Russell 2000.
 S&P 500 performance varies for each portfolio due to different publish dates and measurement periods. See the individual portfolio sections below for more details.